Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Personal Politics


I hate politics.  I really do.  It takes up too much of my day trying to weed through the lies, stretched truths, red herons, and opinions that are misconstrued as facts.  I go to the Fox News website to get my right wing views.  I still find it hilarious to see the Fair and Balanced logo under their name.  Cracks me up every time I see it.  Then I go to Huffington Post to see stories that go completely against what I just read on Fox News.  Definitely a far more left leaning site, but not as biased as Fox News. Then I end at CNN.  Generally can get the actual news there without much of a slant or opinion based “facts”.  By the end of it, I am left confused and often less informed than I was before I started my gathering of the news.

I wasn’t always a political junky.  The fiancé was the one to blame.  I love him AND hate him for it.  I am completely happy that I can make informed decisions when I vote.  I am completely happy that I know which politicians are sleezy lobbyist paid scumbags and which ones are in it for the right reasons.  (At least I think I know)  I am also completely happy that I know which ones think that because I was born gay I deserve to be discriminated against in many aspects of my life.  This I have to say is the main reason which is why I cannot just let the political asshattery go. 

For MOST people, the person who gets elected into any political office, generally isnt completely impacted on a personal level.  Sure, your taxes may go up or down slightly.  You may think your guns are going to be taken away from some liberal leftist even though that never happens and never will.    And unless you are a woman having abortions on a yearly basis, even legislation passed in regards to that that doesn’t truly effect people until the need to have an abortion occurs.  Now it does appear I am down playing these issues.  Which maybe I am because they don’t affect me to the point where I raise hell about them. 

But ya know what.  The game of politics are played more so in this current day and age against people like me than ever before.  The Conservative Right tries to block every piece of legislation that is for furthering the rights of gay people.  The reasons vary but generally the Bible is brought into play.  But getting into that is a whole other post and don’t worry, I’ll write that one some point in the future.  Anyways, as a young 20 something homo, I want a future that is filled with possibility.  However, a certain political party believes that my future shouldn’t be filled with the same things their futures hold.  Republicans feel that smaller government is good government.  However, when it comes to gay issues, the more government the better.  Why?  Because it has no effect on them whatsoever.  And it plays extremely well to their  Christian base.  They may not hate gay people, but they sure don’t want us to be happy. 

Sodomites.Perverts.Molestors.Sickos.Fags.

Only a few words lifted from the Fox News website left by commenters on an article about gay rights.  Praise!

I’ve been called all of these things.  Not just in emails or online.  But personally had these things said to my face. 

Ouch.

And you know what, they didn’t even ask who I am.  They took one part of who I am, and could label me with such vicious contempt.  I mean at least they got the fag part right.  But these politicians, these are the people they play to.  I truly feel that most of these politicians are educated enough to know that gay people are not these things.  Yet they don’t dispute them when their supporters scream these things.  Why? It gets them elected.  It gets them that paycheck.  However, sometimes I myself question that.  I have met some very educated people who agree with the Homophobic base.  I suppose that makes them apart of it. 

Employment Discrimination.

I know some people who think I should not be able to hold certain jobs as a gay person.  Teaching.  Nope! Priest.  Nope!  Mechanic.  Nope!  Hair stylist.  Yep! Fashion Designer. Yesssss!  Of course, Democrats have tried to pass, ENDA, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act which would make it illegal to not hire or fire for someone for being gay, but the GOP have blocked it on each attempt.  29 States in the US currently allow their businesses to discriminate on this basis.  Pennsylvania being one of them.  Ridiculous!

Marriage?  Hell no!!! 

Religious freedom they all scream! Yet the hypocrisy in those two words is laughable.  Obviously, plenty of religions believe in same sex marriage. And a large portion of people don’t even want a religious marriage ceremony.  A civil one would do just fine.  But of course me being able to marry the person I love intrudes on every one else’s life.  So lets ban it! Not just ban it though, have it written in the Constitution to have it outlawed!

DADT.

Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.  Ohhhh mama! You know whats horrible.  A gay person protecting this country.  Nothing pisses off a cowardly non-military redneck more.  We don’t need pansies in the military they say.  Think of all the male on male rape that will happen if we allow this they say.  However, despite all the uproar.  Despite all the lies, the allegations that soldiers would leave the military in droves, and men having sex in the battlefield.  None of it never happened.  Of course.  Because unlike the people that screamed these things, we don’t think about sex 24/7.  Let alone gay sex that much.  Its on their minds much more than it is on ours. 

Gay Adoption.

A child needs a mother and a father.  This is the talking point that people against gays adopting use most often.  Laughable to some.  Strongly held belief to others.  My thoughts….A child needs a loving damn good parent.  And if they have the opportunity to be privileged in this day and age with two parents of any gender that love them, than they are extremely fortunate.  But being a good parent is most important.  I have the love to give.  I have great morals to pass on so that my child will grow up to be an amazing contributing human being.  But for some people, that’s not enough.  No adoption for you they say.  Not good enough by their standards.  Today, only Florida has an open ban on gay people adopting.  I suppose those kids are better off in foster care and in adoption agencies.  What a shame.

Welfare.

Not gay related but I can certainly relate.  My family was on welfare for a few years when I was kid.  Without this assistance from the government, my family would not have eaten.  Times get tough for millions of families and it angers me when I see Republicans rail against food stamps and those on them.  Yes, there are many who abuse the system. Yes, there are many who don’t need to be on welfare.  But that number is far less than those who actually need help and rely on this assistance to feed their families. 

This is why politics are so important to me.  It is entirely personal.  

We have one side saying we accept you, we love you, embrace you, and will have a safety net for you when you need one.  We have the other side running on Sodomites.Perverts.Molestors.Sickos.Fags.Welfare Queens.

Its not about the money and taxes.  Its not about small government or big government.  Its politicians limiting me on my pursuit of happiness.  And that is when they crossed the line.

Obama 2012.  

1 comment: